I wasn’t going to do a New Year’s Resolution blog post…however…I suck with accountability, and I thought that while this particular post may not be of much interest to my readers, I feel like I owe it to myself as I begin year number two of blogging.
I’m an ENFP personality, which basically means I start project after project and finish probably 33% of the things that I start. However…I just completed my first official year of blogging! Honestly, it’s kind of a big deal for me, because I’ve tried this before and failed miserably.
I started this blog with no plan. I have read a lot of articles about starting a blog and they all tell you to make your blog live only after you have built up 10-20 posts. On a whim one cold day last January, I decided to start a blog…so obviously it went live after one post.
It’s been a crazy year: being pregnant, having an emergency C-section, being a new mom, quitting teaching, deciding to go back to teaching, moving to a new state and trying to get settled, and all the while…trying to build this blog and grow it! I LOATHE the phrase “building the plane as we fly it” (because obviously that is so irresponsible, who does that anyway?!)…but that’s exactly what this first year of blogging has been. Somehow, I’ve managed to get two sponsored posts (here and here), and grow a small but dedicated group of readers. These are small wins, but they motivate me to keep sharing my stories with you!
Since that first, bare-boned post on January 14, 2017, I’ve learned a lot. And this year…I want to put everything I’ve learned into action. I’m posting these goals so that I can hold myself accountable (you can help me if you want!).
My Top Eleven Goals for this Blog in 2018
- Post a minimum of 52 times
- Learn how to use my camera and Lightshop better so I take and edit beautiful photos
- Choose a color palette and actually stick to it (this is SOOO hard for me…like seriously…I may need a life coach for this one)
- Create a cohesive brand across all social networks (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest being my main ones)
- Actually UTILIZE Pinterest!
- Revamp my blog’s layout for easier navigation
- Figure out how the heck SEO works, and dedicate time to mastering it
- Connect with other bloggers and find a blogging accountability partner(s)
- Get more sponsored posts
- Narrow my focus on my categories
- Treat blogging like a second job instead of a hobby (It’s so easy to let this blog fall to the wayside and save it for last after everything else that I’m doing)
I’m thankful that you’ve been a reader with me this past year! If you are a regular reader or even if it’s your first time visiting, would you mind taking this brief survey to let me know how I can make it better? If you choose to include your name and email address, you will be entered to win a $5 Starbucks gift card! 💛 I’d LOVE to hear your feedback! 💛